Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Drawn 2013 at the RWA

This week I need to go and collect my work "We Should Smile More...'  from the RWA as Drawn has come to an end. On Friday I paid my final visit to the exhibition and feel that I should now just say a little about the exhibition and my favourite pieces.


South Lodge Camp, Timothy Harrison
This had a fabulous texture and a striking appearance. It was simple yet spoke clearly about its subject, the markings of a land fort.


Meyouthem,  Yvonne Crossley
I particularly liked this large scale triptych of a drawn figure. Close up it had the structure of knitting, with large pins appearing to hold some parts of the body together. Pigment ink is used to make the marks.

Wound Skull, Elle Ford
This work was accompanied by 2 photographs which were also very interesting and looked just like a delicate drawing. A skull has been wrapped in wire and then burnt. I would really like to know more about why this work was made. It was sympathetically placed in an old presentation case.


Debbie Lock, Marks made whilst walking
I loved the marks made in these images - a fantastic idea, pens or pencils positioned in boxes and placed in ruck sacks and left to make marks as people walked for 20 minutes. I want to know what else was in the bag, what was the weather like and who accompanied them.


Shape Shifter XXV, Natalie McGrorty
I really like work where obsessive mark making has been a big part in the process of making. It allows a lot of questions such as what was the artist thinking as each mark was made? Did they expect the final result? This work is also aesthetically very pleasing although I am not sure that that was the intention.

Drawn has been a fantastic experience - I have had plenty of opportunity to enjoy and wonder about the work and feel very privileged to have been part of this exhibition. I feel very inspired to keep on drawing and continue with my plans to enter The Jerwood Drawing Prize, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment